The Youth Advisory Board of Berks County Community Foundation and Youth Volunteer Corps of Reading consists of 35 high school students from 15 different school districts across Berks County. The Youth Advisory Board (YAB) meets regularly and serves as a YVC leadership team to create and lead service projects that will take place during the upcoming school year. Additionally, YAB students steward a youth philanthropy fund through Berks County Community Foundation that allows the group to grant up to $15,000 per year to local agencies in youth-chosen issue areas. The purpose of the Youth Advisory Board is to ensure that youth voice is heard and represented in the service work for YVC events.
This team, supported by our trained staff, will:
- Work with a diverse group of students from across the county
- Have an opportunity to share their voice and their passion with their peers and community
- Brainstorm project ideas
- Create action plans
- Recruit volunteers and develop relationships with community partners
- Receive team building and leadership training
- Attend YVC service opportunities to participate in hands-on volunteering and develop a capstone service project in a youth-chosen area of interest.
The application for the 2024-2025 Youth Advisory Board will open May 1 and run through May 24. Interviews will occur in June and YAB members chosen by July 1. All high-school students from Berks County are encouraged to apply here in May.
For further information please contact email@example.com.
More information on student-chosen issue areas and the capstone service project developed by YAB for the
- 2019-2020 school year is available here (issue: protecting the environment).
- 2020-2021 school year is available here (issue: diversity, equity and inclusion).
- 2021-2022 school year (issue: youth mental health).
- 2022-2023 school year is available here (issue: youth experiencing homelessness).
- 2023-2024 school year BEING DEVELOPED (issue: food insecurity)